With the holidays coming up, everyone needs a good roll recipe to hang their hat on, and this one from mybestgermanrecipes.com is sure to be a winner!
- 500 g wheat flour, all purpose, unbleached
- 1 cube fresh yeast (42g or 0.6oz) or 1 package dry yeast*
- 500 ml whole milk (not low fat)
*YEAST INFO: If you can only find dried yeast use this as a guide for 500g flour: 15g fresh = 1 tablespoon dried = 7g fast-action.
- 500 g flour, all purpose, unbleached
- 150 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- some milk
Baking Instructions Sweet German Milk Rolls
- Dissolve yeast in milk, add to flour, make a so called “Vorteig” which is a pre-dough or starter: Mix all ingredients very well.
- Let rise at a warm place, covered with a clean kitchen cloth, until dough has doubled (up to 1 hour).
- Now add all dough ingredients and knead with kneading hooks until you get a smooth dough. You also can knead with your hands which should be sprinkled with flour.
- Let dough raise again for another 30 min.
- Sprinkle flour on a baking board or a clean and smooth surface.
- Knead dough with hands very well.
- Now form rolls (each should weigh about 80g).
- Place the rolls on a baking tray layered with parchment paper.
- Brush milk on top of each roll.
- Pre-heat oven to 390 F.
- Before you would bake the rolls, with a knife make a small cut in the middle. Brush again with milk.
- Bake the rolls for about 15 min.
Attention: They brown fast! Move the grid to a lower level if they are already brown before the end of the baking time.