Everyone loves a little comfort food! This wonderful chicken and rice from justapinch.com is just that.
Smothered Chicken with Rice
- 6-8 small chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 3 can(s) cream of mushroom soup
- 2 c fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 3 c instant white or brown rice (prepared)
- fresh ground pepper
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare rice according to package (enough to cover the entire bottom of a deep 9×13 glass baking dish (3 servings)).
- In the meantime, in a large skillet heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Coat chicken thighs on both sides with olive oil as well. Use desired amounts of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to flavor.
- When the olive oil is hot, turn heat down to medium or medium-high and add minced garlic to the oil. Let garlic sauté in the oil for about 1 min, then add chicken, skin down, in the pan.
- Brown for 15 minutes each side until chicken is golden brown (this locks the flavor into the chicken itself).
- While chicken is cooking, prepare cream of mushroom soup by adding 2-3 cans to a bowl, 1 1/2 cups milk, salt/pepper to taste, garlic powder, 1 tsp minced garlic and finally sliced fresh mushrooms.
- With a paper towel, brush a small amount of olive oil around the bottom and sides of the baking dish. Add rice and spread out to cover the bottom. Add chicken to the baking dish on top of the rice and pour sauce mixture over it all.
- Cover with foil and cook for about 45-50 minutes. Uncover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
I like to make fresh rolls with it. Sometimes I’ll make my own from scratch, and sometimes I’ll buy that Rhodes frozen white roll dough and let it rise all day. A fresh roll with butter really just completes the dish!
Serves 4-8 depending on the household appetite! Enjoy!