No matter what your political views, every American feels a little extra love for our country on September 11. Nineteen years later, it is humbling to remember the people who rushed headlong into danger to try to save whomever they could. As a little way to honor our fallen heroes, today’s recipe is a patriotic Red, White, and Blue Berry Pie from tasteofhome.com. Enjoy it with your family and hug your loved ones a little tighter today.
Red, White and Blue Berry Pie
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons raspberry gelatin
- 1 pint fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 pint fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-3/4 cups whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Divide mixture in half. Stir blueberries and lemon juice into one portion; spread over crust. Chill until set. Gently fold raspberries into remaining gelatin mixture; cool to room temperature and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping; spread over blueberry layer. Chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Carefully spread raspberry mixture over cream cheese layer. Chill for at least 4 hours.