Summer is the time for vacations (yes, even in a pandemic!), and that means it is time for burglars to break into empty houses while their occupants are enjoying the beach across the country. Here are a few tips and tricks we have gathered to help you minimize the risk to your home and possessions:
- Install a security system.
- Yes, they can be expensive, but they are worth every penny in peace of mind! Plus, most insurance companies will give you a discount on your homeowners’ insurance if you have one, and that will help mitigate the cost.
- Get a house sitter.
- Even if the sitter is not there all day, having someone coming and going will definitely help to deter potential thieves.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Let them know when you plan to be gone and what your plan is for keeping the house safe while you’re away. Most neighbors will take note of unusual activity anyway; this way they will know for sure if something is not right.
- Put your lights on timers.
- Timer switches for a few lamps and lights in your house are not super expensive and easily give the appearance that someone is moving around the house even if you are not!
- Pause any deliveries.
- Make sure to let the post office, newspaper, and any other regular deliveries are paused so they do not pile up and give you away while you’re away.
Obviously, this is not everything you can do, but any little bit helps. Let us know if you have any great tips or tricks we missed!